Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Tips for Personal Style



Via my Tumblr blog I've received many shocking compliments on my personal style! While I was first shocked, I realized why people were thinking such ideas about my style.. I was posting photos where my outfit looked put together and on point, even though I considered my style to be fairly basic. 

Over the past couple of years, I found myself really learning who I am! Something most of us do in our early twenties! I learned that most important of all: you should do what feels right to you, you like what you like. In which case I hope you can all apply these ideas to your own sense of self. 

Quick Point: It's my personal enjoyment to dress up most days, none of these ideas are meant to seem shallow, these are just ideas that I've found work best for me in portraying my best self. I once was the type of person that thought fashion and style were silly, through my own life experiences I've learned that how you dress influences so much of how you treat your life. 


  • It's all about balance. My favorite idea in this is to either do: tight on top, loose on bottom, OR loose on top, tight on bottom. Balance comes in many forms with your personal style.. From color balance, to how the clothes fit you, there's so much variety when it comes to making this work.
  • Accessories are the key to you and your outfit looking very put together. I'm serious, you can almost never go wrong with this one. Someone can lack matching, be in the most bizarre-looking outfit and still look fabulous as long as they tie everything together. Clothing and accessories go hand in hand.
  • Wear everything with confidence. If you can't do that, don't buy it. Chin up buttercup ;)
  • Have your key pieces, know them. Know yourself and your style enough to use the key pieces for that style. Me? I love love love to look casual, but also dressy. My key pieces are usually a blazer, some gold rings, and basic colored shirts. I find I can mix and match as I go, I can reinvent my look everyday by just changing the style of my shirt, rings, the color of my blazer, but these are still my outfit staples.
  • Inspire yourself! Scroll through Pintrest. Browse the fashion bloggers. Hunt down what look you want to try. 
  • Play with your style! Try wearing new items. Try on items at stores and boutiques that you wouldn't normally be interested in! Clothing and accessories look very different on the rack than they do on your body type!
  • Yes, body shape is important. Dress for your shape. I'm a firm believer in wearing what you want, but also wearing what compliments your shape. 
  • Attitude is fun too! Seriously, you can literally change how well your style looks by the attitude in which you wear it. I love to wear sundresses and roam around, spinning circles, with a bright smile lit on my face. Some days I'll wear the sundresses and not be in a good mood, I know I'm doing my outfit an injustice. This can also be a fun way to experiment too though! If you have never tried spending your day in an edgy outfit with an edgy attitude, I highly recommend it, it's empowering, and really fun to play a different part!

2 comments:

  1. Love this post and love your style :) Your advice is soo good too! I think it's so important to be confident and to know what suits your body shape instead of just wearing what's on trend! I try to spend more money on things I know that will last for years and always be in fashion (like a black blazer, boots etc) instead of getting caught up in the trends.

    Great post!!

    Sam xx
    www.smart-twenties.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Confidence is our best accessory! I love these tips, you shouldn't be surprised at all by the positive feedback, you have great style! :)

    ReplyDelete